Login  

Username or email   Password   Remember Me     Forgot Login?  
   

Supporters Club Draw  

April & May 2016 Draw Results

April
1st Vernon Nibbs
2nd Andy Cooke
3rd Colin Stevenson

May
1st Pete Leake
2nd Salmon
3rd Keith Udy
   

Respect Finstall Park
Click

f
or info

   

   

Please support our chosen charity

Please click on the logo

to see how you can help.

   

   

website security

   

Summer Ball 2016

Its time to book your table for  the

Download the eBooking form, fill it in and return it via email to Vernon Nibbs or print it out and fill it in the old fashioned way.
You can get the form from the File Vault here
You can get the poster from the File Vault here

More information

   

Following a meeting at the Corn Exchange on the 28th September 1872 the club was formed. the first real game though was played on the 22nd November 1873 against Kidderminster on the Recreation Ground in front of a large crowd. Kick Off was at 3:00pm and despite strenuous efforts by both sides, time was called at 4:50pm neither side having scored a goal. Early records have been lost but it seems that in the early days the foundations were laid due to a close association with Bromsgrove School, an association which has continued to the present day.
There were great problems running a rugby team in a small market town like Bromsgrove in the latter part of of the last century and without motor cars, away match travel must have presented a challenge. Nevertheless, the local paper, The Messenger, reported that in 1888


"The Wasps," as the original club was named,"won considerable fame for the town of Bromsgrove in the Football world"


In its early history the Club was suspended for two periods due to lack of support and during the 1890's players were drawn from as far afield as Worcester, Droitwich, Malvern and Birmingham.


Games were originally played on the Recreation Ground, but in 1889 the club moved to a pitch on the Kidderminster Road. From 1893 until 1914 it played either on the 'Rec' or the Cricket ground in New Road, The arrangement varying from season to season. From 1919 intil 1939 the club rented a ground of its own adjoining the cricket ground in New Road and returning there on re-forming in 1946 after World War 2. In 1955 the club at last moved to it's present ground at Finstall Park, albeit with only one pitch. The ground was purchased with the aid of a loan from the RFU and a great deal of the levelling and drainage was carried out by club members. Over the years the headquarters have varied greatly and meetings have been held at various hostelries and private houses including the Corn market, the Institute building in New Road, the Golden Cross Hotel, Perry Hall (then a private residence), the Dragoon Hotel at Aston Fields (Now the Ladybird), The Cross at Finstall, The Roebuck Pub ( now demolished) and at Long last in 1957 the club moved into its own clubhouse at Finstall Park.

 

Since then the club has extended to enjoy four pitches, a training area and the clubhouse much extended. More recently, and in order to guarentee the future, we have gained registration as a Friendly Society.


Whilst the club has never achieved national honours, it has provided rugby for thousands of players over the years and continues to do so, fielding 5 teams each Saturday, plus the Crusaders, our renowned veterans team, Colts, Under 17s and Mini & Junior teams from the ages of 8 to 16 on Sundays. We have enjoyed Success in the North Midlands Cup, (winners 1982, semi finalists 1998) The Worcester Floodlit Cup (winners 1998 Runners up 1999) and the 2nd Team Cup organised by our pals, Kidderminster. Over the years we have also been proud to see players from Bromsgrove represent England Colts, The most recent being David Hunt (1999), England under 21's, the North Midlands and Worcestershire & Herefordshire County. Many players have progressed via the M&J's to the 1st XV and gone on to National sides with our best wishes.

 

It reflects the changes in the game to read a report from The Messenger (Our local weekly Paper) dated 14th March 1891 for the first round of the Midland Cup. "Bromsgrove were drawn to play Leicester at Belgrave Road and played in front of a crowd of over 6000 spectators! They went down by 4 goals, 2 tries and six minors to nothing" How would we fayre if the match was played today?


The Boars Head


The Boars head on display in the Club house was presented to the club by the Amphlett and Huins family. It was shot by John Moore, a member of an ancient Alvechurch family, who was an eminent member of the Indian civil service. He retired to Llandrindod Wells, surrounded by his hunting trophies, and after several visits and subtle persuasion he gave the trophy to be displayed in the clubhouse at Finstall Park.

   
   


Available in the bar and function room

   
© Bromsgrove Rugby Football Club Ltd

National 3 Midlands

Congratulations Scunthorpe and Hinckley (after the play off vs Wirral) on gaining promotion to National 2.

Pos Club P W D L F A Diff TB LB Pts
1 Scunthorpe 26 23 0 3 766 343 423 14 2 108 C
2 Hinckley 26 22 1 3 790 343 447 16 2 108P
3 Old Halesonians 26 18 0 8 630 408 222 13 6 91
4 Peterborough Lions 26 15 0 11 593 464 129 10 4 69
5 Nuneaton 26 14 0 12 573 463 110 8 5 69
6 Syston 26 13 0 13 538 562 -24 11 4 67
7 Birmingham & Solihull 26 13 0 13 500 475 25 8 6 66
8 Longton 26 11 1 14 530 577 -47 12 3 61
9 Bromsgrove 26 12 0 14 559 670 -111 8 3 59
10 Sandbach 26 11 0 15 546 591 -45 9 4 57
11 Lichfield 26 9 0 17 600 683 -83 12 7 55
12 Old Northamptonians 26 9 0 17 498 702 -204 6 7 49 R
13 Newport (Salop) 26 8 0 18 451 738 -287 6 0 38 R
14 Sutton Coldfield 26 3 0 23 412 967 -555 3 4 19 R

 

   

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information